ECA Group to supply a turnkey station for helicopter structural assembling
ECA Group applied its expertize to provide precision assembly solutions to a major European Helicopter Manufacturer. This key project consisted in manufacturing and delivering in record time (less than 7 months-spec-to-build) a main frame supporting a helicopter airframe while ensuring mobile, ergonomic and maximum accessibility to the working areas.
ECA Group designed a 10-meter long assembly station on a surface of more than 50 m2 allowing to assemble a 7-ton class civil helicopter with its 18-person capacity. This turnkey station allows to combine together all the structural components of the helicopter airframe and to perform accurate measurements and geometric control of this same airframe.
The challenge of this project was to respect high geometrical constraints as strictly requested by the customer. All along this project, the dedicated technical experts placed a constant and continuous commitment in delivering optimal solutions while taking into consideration:
- An accurate holding to position the helicopter through different fittings: rear and front landing gears, main gear box and engine.
- A reconfigurable tooling in accordance with different geometric tolerances of airframe (resin casting and adjustable fittings): This is one of ECA Group’s specialties : to provide a concept to adapt the airframe to different helicopters.
- A low deformation of the loaded airframe
- A maximum accessibility and good brightness for all working areas.
ECA Group, proven leader in engineering assembly solutions for the aerospace industry, is able to demonstrate through this achievement its expertise in the areas of :
- Project management in assembly processes
- Production of large-sized tooling with high tolerance constraints
- Precision measurement with laser tracker
- On-time delivery record (global lead time of 7 months (spec-to-build)
Once the project was delivered, the customer was completely satisfied with ECA Group’ proposed solutions addressing its specific requirements in terms of accuracy, high-efficiency, quality, planning and safety.
ECA Group has designed and built numerous assembly stations for various aircraft programs such as A320, A330, A340, A350XWB, A380, A400M, ATR 42, ATR72, Safran and other OEMs.
- Discover ECA Group's Digital assembly lines
- Read more about ECA Group's Ergonomics modules assembly lines
- Learn more about ECA roup blade geometrical control frame solutions
- Discover ECA Group Assembly stations by measuring
- See also ECA Group's Pylon Back-up tool
A polyvalent station allowing structural assembling and geometrical control